Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Let's Talk Salad


Here's a close up of my lovely, succulent, delicious iron rich spinach. Most of it is Bloomsdale, with some Viroflav thrown in as well (I can't tell if the two varieties are distinct or not.)


This is the spinach bed, which also has a few bunching onions left from last year, a volunteer squash(probably/hopefully butternut), the chiogga beets, some flat of egypt beets, and some carrots.


So, here's what the salad box looks like at this stage of the game. I think it is a)getting regularly munched by the groundhog we didn't manage to trap(Oh! I have to tell that story too!) and b) not getting quite enough sun.


Do you know about purslane? It's considered a weed in North America, but it's a delicious one. It's also extrodinarily high in Omega 3 fatty acids which are very important and normally only found in fish. Anyhow, I'm growing it in my garden and it is gorgeous and succulent.


This is a new small bed we made by flipping the top off the old small bed(since we didn't fill it all the way with dirt) Since my salad greens aren't doing so well by the house, I planted a bunch of lettuces, salad mix, and arugula in here today. I also transplanted four volunteer tomato plants (more on those in a minute!) to this box.


Here's the state of daikon nation as of this afternoon. I planted a bunch of breakfast radishes here too, and they don't seem to be getting munched on yet.


The carrots are looking good! I've got three quadrants planted with carrots--some look stronger than others. I don't see any carrot shoulders forming yet but it might still be early for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment