Sunday, June 20, 2010

Early Sunday Garden Photos

For some reason this morning I popped awake at 5:30am with "Doin the Butt" by EU in my head. It didn't seem like it was going to go away, so I thought I would get up and take advantage of the early morning hours. I love my garden at all sorts of times of the day, but early morning when the dew is on the leaves is a particularly magical time. I think I have farming in my blood, maybe.

You have no idea how much this means to me. In fact, after taking this picture I put these guys in a vase so I can admire them for the rest of the day.


Here's the yukon gold and white onion patch. The potatoes are flowering now which means very soon I will be digging them up and enjoying their yellow fleshed goodness.


The other potato varieties are growing like crazy and starting to flower too!


These gorgeous sunflowers came back in the wildflower box. They are flanked by some ornamental kale seed fronds. I don't know if you've ever let kale go to seed but it's a pretty incredible thing. Each of these fronds contains thousands of tiny seeds. Maybe I'll have a kale yard next year!


The snowpeas and shelling peas are about done, but the sugar snaps are just getting started. They are so delicious. Love.


I finally weeded the strawberry patch and tried to train some of the suckers to go in the direction I would like them to go. I have read a very Nancy Drew method is to stick them in the ground with bobby pins...I wonder if I still have any of those around?


Giant mystery squash takes over the world! Seriously, it is taking over the box where we had the spinach, and it is completely shading out some carrots that were planted in there too. I will let it do it's thing in hopes that it is indeed a butternut and I get several pounds of surprise butternut squash like I did last year.


It's flowering!


The salad mix is finally taking off in the salad box by the side of the house, but I planted some out in full sun too just to be sure.

1 comment:

  1. So pretty! Wish I could see your garden in person. My garden is struggling a bit this year with the early heat. (It usually doesn't get this hot until later in the summer.) And I having no success with greens which makes me sad. It was so nice having lettuce last year! I planted baby spinach plants and they went directly to seed w/o growing. Weird. Or I don't know what to do w/ spinach. You're garden is beautiful & bountiful! xo

    ReplyDelete