Sunday, June 13, 2010

Another Productive Day In Paradise

It's not really paradise....the TV room is still in a state of construction, the shower is leaking, the basement is damp, both toilets really need to be cleaned....but it was a super lovely day and we got a whole lot done. So it felt like paradise. And it's paradisical to have a weekend off together these days...doesn't happen too often anymore.
So, we got up and had some waffles for breakfast and made a plan for the day. Basically rebby worked outside and I worked inside. She mowed both lots and weedwacked and macheted ALL DAY LONG. Our weed situation was pretty out of control in the front of the house thanks to all the rain, but she took them all down. We had a huge weed wall along the front of the adjacent lot, and she took that down too. It was mighty impressive.
Inside, I tackled laundry, including washing all the flannel sheets to put in storage. I don't know I'll get them into storage today, but at least they're all clean. I also CLEANED OUT THE REFRIGERATOR. Like, not only did I take everything out and wash down all the parts, but I got rid of all the condiment bottles that had a quarter inch of stuff in the bottom, and I tossed a couple jars of fermented stuff that didn't pass the sniff test. (As long as the food is submerged in brine you can keep fermented foods in the fridge for a REALLY long time, but there were a couple jars of kimchi that seemed a little dry on top and didn't smell lovely. So out they went.) Then I took everything out of both freezers and inventoried them. We are usually pretty good about keeping track of what's in the freezers and what we use, but since we just got a whole bunch of new meats I thought it was worth doing a new list. And sure enough, we had forgotten to cross some things off the old list, so were laboring under the illusion that there were more pork chops than there actually were. But now it's all up to date.
Another indoor project today was blanching and freezing a bunch of those greens I harvested yesterday. I'd love to eat them all fresh, but there is just no way we'd get to them quick enough, and nothing makes me sadder than vegetables I GREW going bad in the fridge. So I blanched and froze some snow peas, shelled peas, kale, chard, and beet greens. I kept the spinach out for salads and one bag of beet greens for fresh stir frying. And there will be more peas of all stripes for sure...though it looks like the snow peas and shelling peas might be done pretty soon. I don't know if the chard will come back again or not, but I've got a whole new crop of red russian kale, and the kohlrabi leaves to contend with. And collards are starting to sprout too! Lordy.
Finishing off the uber productive day by making peppermint stick chocolate ice cream, and gravlax. It's been a really good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment