Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Celebrate 4/20 by PULLING Weed(s).....

Ha ha ha. I crack myself up.
Actually, the weed pulling was more a side project. The big project of today was getting the first round of roots'n'leaves in the ground.
It was an absolutely gorgeous day for gardening---like 54 degrees, slightly breezy, clear sunny skies. Love. We started the day by unloading a truck bed full of scavanged bricks that Rebby brought home last night. We plan to make foot paths between the raised beds to keep down on grass and weeds, and while unloading I also came up with a plan to build a couple more herb boxes like the ones the mint and sage and oregano are in, and then move the rosemary and sorrel over there and do further sowings of annual herbs in them too. Basically, I need to make more room for artichokes, asparagus, and rhubarb in the perennial bed and I think that's going to have to involve moving the herbs. So that is perhaps a project for tomorrow(or the weekend.)
After unloading our brick cache we went to the strip to do a little shopping, and so Rebby could get some wine yeast for this year's batch of dandelion wine. Thankfully she saved the packet she used last time so getting the yeast from the lonely brew store man did not turn into a half hour ordeal (like it did the time she sent me to get some.) Meanwhile I stocked up on tortillas and green chile at Reynas and stopped a few other places. I was super bummed that none of the places I stopped seemed to have garlic that was not grown in China. Alas. Stopped at the Quizzle to drop off a few things and pick up the tropical flower one of the customers brought in for me (I am so not sure what it is...I'll take a picture later and try to identify it)
Then we got to work.
In today went:
Red Russian Kale

Rainbow Chard
Kohlrabi, Purple and Green
Rhubarb Chard
Strawberry Spinach
Bloomsdale Spinach
Black Palm Kale
Zefo Fina Fennel
Red Elephant Carrot
Jaune Du Doubs Carrot
Flat of Egypt Beets
Dragon Purple Carrot
Carnival Carrot Blend
Bull's Blood Beet
Gourmet Blend Beets
Chiogga Beets

Whew! Tomorrow just might be potato planting day. And I might get my strawberries and rhubarb in the ground too!

No comments:

Post a Comment