Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Herbs, So Far

Chocolate Mint overwintered, I may have killed it and the Apple Mint by digging them up and dividing them. But they're mint, so probably not.
Apple Mint
Moss Curled Parsley I ADORE curled parsley. I direct seeded a bunch and I also started some plants upstairs, so I hope to have parsley like whoa.
Dill I also adore dill. I have a couple different varieties. Direct seeded a bunch and also have a few tiny little feathery friends coming up from last year's plants that went to seed.
Black Cumin, Nigella Sativa all sorts of health benefits, plus look how pretty, plus--growing my own cumin seeds!
Cilantro! I have the beginnings of a giant cilantro patch from last year's plants that went to seed. Cilantro burns out fast, so I have two more packets of seed to replace the ones that bolt (and the ones that turn into all summer long delicious salsa!)
Fenugreek! I grew some last year and saved my own seeds. The leaves are also mildly fenugreek-y in salads.
Rosemary over wintered.

2 comments:

  1. Have you grown cumin before? did you actually get seeds? I had it on my list for this year, but then I read a bunch of discouraging stuff about how it's a tropical plant and won't set seed without a lot of heat. pittsburgh gets way more heat than olympia, so i am wondering what kind of success you have there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, didn't see this till today!
    I have not tried cumin before, but it is sprouting already! I had great success last year with fenugreek and of course cilantro/coriander so I figured I'd give it a try. I'll report back!

    ReplyDelete