Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gardenpalooza Day Two

Today I had very lofty goals to put in potatoes, onions, strawberries and rhubarb.
We stopped at the Home Depot to get a new rake and some more stakes for the garden fencing, and I impulsively bought onions sets and strawberry crowns. I would have preferred to get those things from a local/organic source, but sometimes I am tempted by the impulse buy. Oh well. I've got my precious little onion seedlings upstairs and I've got five organic strawberry plants, so the big box commercial items are supplemental. I'm not going to spray anything on them, so they will be organic ish by the time I'm done, right?
Anyway, I started out turning the soil in the perennial bed at the side of the house. According to the neighbor lady about 10 years ago the Italians had a rabbit run there, so I am pretty confident that the soil is good (it's where my salad and herbs have been blowin up since last year) The idea is to put all the perennials (strawberries, blackberries, perhaps some other berries, rhubarb, artichokes, and asparagus) there so they will be able to settle in undisturbed. The corner right next to the house that only gets sun part of the day will continue to be the salad bed, but hopefully I will be able to move the herbs over to herb boxes and use all the rest of the space for the perennials. So, I'm turning over this really amazing wonderful soil, humming along, thinking how awesome it is going to be to have all these berries and taters and onions planted, boy howdy, I can rest on my laurels for a week at least.....then I come across the first massive root. I struggle with it, finally get it pulled out, and then....another massive root. Ugh. There was a tree there that we had cut down last year, and although the arborists did a good job with the stump grinding, I guess they didn't really follow through with root removal. So basically, the rest of my afternoon was spent digging massive and not so massive roots out of my strawberry bed in the hot sun. After a couple hours, I did finally get all the strawberry plants and crowns in, as well as the rhubarb (though I think I am probably going to move it eventually.) Once that was done, though, there was no energy left for potatoes and onions. They can wait till the weekend. Sheesh.
So it really sucks to have to spend all afternoon digging up roots, BUT I have to say that the strawberry patch is consequently much better tilled than I would have done if the roots weren't there. So that's the positive. We got a ton of stuff accomplished the past two days, and the garden is starting to look really homestead-y. I like it.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the garden! I want to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete