Saturday, March 20, 2010

Meet the Babies

I spent part of today downloading pictures of all the varieties of vegetables I am growing, so I can introduce them as they sprout.
First up we have the broccolis:

This is supposedly the Calabrese variety of broccoli. I couldn't find a picture of Thompson's that looked any different, so I guess all my broccolis will look like this. Woo!
Today we also have escarole:

a bitter Italian salad green. I am learning to love it. I'm good with most of them except for frisee and raddicchio.
Three out of four kales have also sprouted as of today:

Dinosaur

Nero di toscana (Italian Black Kale) and

Red Russian Kale. There are also a couple sprouts of red russian kale hanging out in the garden that rebby noticed today when she was starting to weed the patch next to the house. Rock!
Also making an appearance are:

Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts, which I grew very successfully last year, and

White Wallaby Cauliflower

So far so good guys! I'll try to keep up with the introductions as things sprout, but once the eggplants and peppers and tomatoes take off it's gonna be crazy up in here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm growing the Long Island Improved BS too, in addition to Roodnerf (which is an old, open pollinated variety). I can't wait to be up to my ears in brussels sprouts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you know this already, but the thing I discovered last year that blew my mind totally is that the leaves of the brussels sprouts plants are edible and TASTE LIKE BRUSSELS SPROUTS. So when the little sprouts start forming, you pull off the bottom leaves to make them grow faster, and then you can eat the leaves for your dinner! I liked them best cut really thin and briefly stir fried. So yum!

    ReplyDelete