Wednesday, March 24, 2010

An Exciting Development in the Tomato World


Costoluto Genovese Tomato
Just look at that thing. I love its ruffled shape. It is apparently a very, very rich tasting Italian heirloom. I can't wait.

By the end of today I think I will have some more onion news, as well as possible parsley and perhaps more tomatoes. Still nothing on the eggplant and pepper front, but that's okay. They have time.
I am driving myself crazy trying to decide if I should start any of the vining guys (cukes, squash, melons) inside. All their seed packets say "not recommended", but I did start my squashes indoors last year. Also, I think maybe if I get them going indoors it will give me more time for succession planting the cukes. As in, the cukes will take over the vine spot where the peas are going in (TODAY!!!) on a trellis in the middle of the biggest raised bed. If I start the plants indoors, I can let my peas go longer before I need to pull them up to make room.....Thoughts?
I'm committed to planting the corn, beans and squash in Three Sisters formation in hills around the garden. (not in the raised beds) I am hoping to alternate them with potato tires for a kind of vegetative/rubber fence effect. I watched a video on three sisters planting just the other day in which the woman did it super intensively (like 4 corn plants, 4 bean plants and 4 squash plants per hill) in a raised bed. I am totally down with that, but I wonder how necessary it is to start corn, beans and squash inside? Like I said before, I could spend all day puzzling over these things. And I've got work to do.
Today is a beautiful high in the sixties day after a rainy dreary yesterday. I think it is the perfect time to get in some peas, radishes, spinach, and salad greens. Whoop whoop!

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the world, little Costoluto Genovese ! I also am going back and forth about my beans, squash and corn. I know it's not recommended, but I started my bush beans indoors and they did pretty well, all things considered. My fave semi-local seed company (uprising organics) just posted on facebook about what you should sow now, what should be in the greenhouse, and what you should wait on, and then mention that their succession plantings often result in the later plantings being bigger, stronger plants because they direct sow them. I am trying to be more patient, and I'm very concerned that I pushed my basil too early and it won't be warm enough for them when they are too big for indoor pots anymore.

    I really COULD think about this all day. I hear you, sister.

    ReplyDelete