Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I did a naughty thing....

So, I'm in the midst of a Christmas cookie baking frenzy. Last night I mixed up dough for Chimayo Chile Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, (I used that recipe but added in some chile powder and substituted Ghiradelli ground chocolate for the Hersheys cuz I am a big pimp) Bizcochitos,(I resisted the urge to use lard and went with butter, but I was super psyched about the brandy!) and Salty Oat Cookies with Chocolate Chips(instead of cranberries. again, pimp.) Those are all chilling in the fridge to be baked today. Then I baked some Lemon Basil Cookies, but used actual flour and stuff instead of cake mix. And dried blueberries instead of coconut and nuts. And fresh basil instead of dried. They spread more than I would have liked, but are still delicious. I also baked a New Orleans Fruitcake in my new IKEA long skinny bread pan. I love that thing. I had bought a container of glace fruits for the fruitcake and then planned to use up all the bits of dried fruit I had in the pantry to round it out. (no nuts!) Turns out lots of my dried fruit in the pantry had evidence of grain moth visitation, so it's a bit less fruity than the recipe calls for. I managed to get some dates and figs and cranberries in there, though. Then after two hours in the oven I poured about a pint of Captain Morgan over it and wrapped it up in wax paper. Oh yes. I plan to unwrap it and pour some more over today. Can't be too rummy if you ask me.
This morning I got something of a bacon bee in my bonnet. As in, I wanted to make some chocolate covered bacon, but not a whole pound of it. So there's a bunch of bacon left over. What to do? I could just eat it, but since this year's Christmas baking theme at Cafe Mayflower is Salty and Sweet, I decided to put it in a cookie. I also needed to find something that would not be ruined with white whole wheat flour instead of white pastry flour, and dark brown sugar instead of regular sugar (cuz I am running low on both and it's still too cold to go out in the world for supplies)
I searched and found this Martha recipe. Basically, I took what was already a very sexy cookie and made it sexier with the addition of bacon, and earthier with the substitution of whole wheat flour and brown sugar. If I am not careful, I will seriously eat all of these before I start packing my cookie boxes. Right now I have them hidden across the room in a cake holder but I know when I stand up to get the laundry out of the dryer they are going to call to me. Martha give me strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment