Thursday, February 11, 2010

Garden Dreamin

There may be four feet of snow on top of my garden right now, but inside the house I have lots of things to remind me of the promise of spring.
This is our new compost turning fork, direct from the Black Forest:
made in the black forest
It is such a gorgeous tool, and so well made. I am embarrassed to tell you how much I love this thing. I just wish that I could even SEE my compost bin right now, let alone go and flip toss the compost around. Soon, soon.
Here are my seed boxes, all organized:
Seeds!
There are ALOT of varieties of seeds in there. I have all their names in a spreadsheet organized by family. One of these days I'll take out my seed starting date chart and organize them by when they should be started and when they get to go in the ground.
I didn't take a picture of it, but Jennie got me one of these for Christmas. It is one of the best gifts I have ever received, I think. I have been saving all the newspaper and packing paper and brown paper bags that somehow accumulate in the house despite my best efforts to keep them out for a big pot making party sometime soon. Making plant pots out of trash! What could be better!
Garden Dreaming
This is not even all my seed catalogs. These are only the ones I picked up at PASA. I really can't order too many more seeds, but I do need to get some herb seeds (how do I not have dill seeds? criminal!) and a few flowers. I am most excited about the Turtle Tree Seed Company. They're biodynamic and the turtle woodcut on the cover is so damn cute I can't resist.
I'm plowing through the Keep Chickens! book--it's very inspiring. And the Bushy Mountain Bee Farm catalog is a thrill too. Unfortunately, the city of Pittsburgh has just decided to pass a confusing and restrictive urban farming code that might prohibit me from getting chickens or bees. What?!? I am so going to that hearing. Luke ain't shuttin down my farm before I even start!

2 comments:

  1. brushy mountain! that is where my hive came from. i just accidentally gave my catalog away today, and i don't know if i should make them send me another or just read the website. no, actually i need another one. im going to go request it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the brushy mountain booth had a display model hive like yours so I got to see it in person--BEAUTIFUL!!!! They are doing a bee drop in Cranberry in May--I'm hoping to sign up for that.

    ReplyDelete