Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

I, like most people I know, feel helpless.
It's hard to look on facebook and see people talking about mundane stuff when such an enormous tragedy is going on.
But look I have, all day long. Argh.
I happened quite by accident and out of character to be folding laundry with BBC International news on the TV on Tuesday evening when I found out about it. I almost didn't think it was real, especially when I turned over to local news programs and saw that there was little to no coverage. So back to the BBC I went.
Facebook has actually been a source of much encouragement, though---videos from the president, friends posting links for donations, and then this afternoon, a message from earthship biotecture that they are getting a team together to go and build new housing.
That coupled with the comments (people literally all over the world offering to go and help them!) made me cry a little bit.
For every twisted Pat Robertson saying shameful things in the name of Jesus, there are hundreds of Michael Reynolds doing work that actually brings to life what he taught.
Gives me some hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment